Monday, October 13, 2008

Butterfly insights




Yesterday was a gorgeous day, so we decided to explore the Botanical Gardens and see the butterfly exhibit there. Anna has been learning about the migration of the Monarch, so we thought it would be neat for her to see the different phases from caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly. Claire absolutely loves butterflies, and tries to capture them every time she sees one. I, also have a significant fondness for butterflies. I tattooed one to my lower back right before I turned 35. Now before you go thinking I'm some crazy tattoo lady, there is a story to my tattoo. I had been wanting one for probably over 6 years. I just wasn't sure where I wanted it, and what I wanted it to be. About 2.5 years ago, my father passed away. He fought a pretty long battle with cancer. After he died, my life was forever changed - not bad and not good - just changed. Around that time, I also really started to notice butterflies. They are so graceful and carefree in flight. I started thinking about how a butterfly comes to life - through change. I also came upon this quote, "If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies." - Unknown. That was how I decided I wanted a butterfly tattoo. I was forever changed, and I wanted to be free of the sadness, just as a butterfly is free to fly wherever it wants, and a butterfly is brought into the world through change. Now when I look at my tattoo, I am reminded of the change in my life, and I work to bring beauty into my life and the life of others, like a butterfly brings beauty into the world. Have a beautiful Monday!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

My Mariposa, you always bring joy to my days. I am so grateful we are friends. A beautiful post!